Taking Chronic Pain on Vacation

Ever since developing chronic illness over a decade ago, summer vacation as I’ve known it is just a memory. Long gone are the days where I could spend endless hours on my feet in the hot sun, standing in line at an amusement park or walking about a tourist attraction.

But as is often the case when one thing ends, another begins. About five years ago, I began to experiment with other types of vacations. I still wanted to travel, but knew my body could no longer handle the stress – both physical and mental – of doing too much amidst too many other people. What kind of vacation is it when you wind up bedridden from pain for the entire next week? So I decided to give resorts a try.

Joanna Mechlinski

Joanna Mechlinski

Although I’d never been to one before, I knew quite a few people who had vacationed in Mexico or the Dominican Republic. When I asked them what it was like, they all literally told me the same thing – “PARADISE!!” Apparently, regardless of location or owners, most beachfront resorts share basic characteristics. They are centered upon the water, both ocean and pool, and total relaxation. If you’re someone with chronic pain issues, this is essentially your siren song (although I’m sure it doesn’t sound too bad to healthy folks, either!) All the activity is centered around your lodgings, almost like a neighborhood, so you don’t have to walk too far and also so you can return anytime you feel like a nap or to get out of the outdoors. Staff members are abundant, making sure you have generous amounts of food and drink, fresh beach towels and anything else you might need or want.

Having lupus, I was initially a bit frightened of all that sun. Admittedly, there’s a lot of it in most resort locales. But I knew that I could limit the amount of exposure I had, both by going indoors periodically and by applying generous dollops of sunscreen as I sat beneath the trademark thatched palm beach umbrellas.

I’ll be the first to admit; I’ve spent the bulk of my life as a goal-oriented go-getter. I’ve never been one to lay around doing nothing for long. So at first it was a bit of a shock, setting out for a place where that would be my job for an entire week. I needed to do something!

Yet there’s a certain allure to it. Unless you live like the English aristocracy in Downton Abbey, it’s not often that most of us have the opportunity to wake up in the morning, head to a leisurely buffet breakfast, then know that there’s nothing more urgent to accomplish the rest of the day other than sunbathing on the beach or reading a book by the pool. By the time the week ends, you actually feel rested. Throughout the year, I must say that’s a feeling I rarely get to experience.

Of course, there is a bit of a hassle in getting to that Shangri-la. While most people generally don’t enjoy navigating an airport and then the flight itself, that experience is something entirely different for those of us with chronic illness. But with a bit of pre-planning and a few adaptations, you can make it through as painlessly as possible.

First, don’t be embarrassed to use a wheelchair at the airport – that’s what they’re there for! It’s a free service and as an added perk, the attendant knows the various gates in a way that a traveler can’t. He or she will get you where you need to go in no time, and you won’t have to be aching and exhausted before you’ve even stepped onto the plane. Just make sure to contact the airline ahead of time so that a chair will be waiting for you, not just upon arrival at the airport but also at any other airport if you have a connecting flight and also at your ultimate destination.

Then of course, be sure to pack your carry-on bag well. Don’t forget to bring your medications with you, as well as a snack and a drink if you can. In my experience, if you ask nicely and explain that you need to take medication, most flight attendants will be happy to bring you a cup of water even if it’s not the regular beverage time.

Also be sure to bring any items that can increase your comfort, such as a neck pillow (a godsend!), light blanket or sweater in case it’s chilly on board. For many of us, being the wrong temperature and being forced to sit too long in an uncomfortable position will increase the odds of being in pain or elevating pre-existing pain, so if you can at all avoid that, of course you should.

Time of travel can also make a huge difference. Whenever I’ve headed to the Caribbean, I’ve taken a red-eye flight from my home in Connecticut. As much as I detest waking early, I know that if I can leave at six a.m. I can arrive at my destination by lunchtime. After quickly dropping my luggage off in my room and freshening up, I can actually get in a good afternoon by the beach or pool! That way, my body has a chance to heal from the stress of getting there.

Maybe you’re like me and you’ll follow me lead to the sandy joy that is a resort. Maybe you’ll be shaking your head vehemently before you even finish reading my descriptions. Either way, just know that chronic pain doesn’t have to mean an end to everything that once made you happy. If you enjoy travel, you still can. If you look forward that that week away from regular life all year long, don’t stop marking it down on your calendar. You’re still you, after all. Just start thinking outside the box a bit, and you’re bound to find something new that brings you joy. Who knows? Maybe it’s something you’ve always been meant to find, and it was actually something you always considered bad that forced you to detour on your intended life road.

Source Nationalpainreport.com
Gout - Definition, Diagnosis and Treatment
09 Dec 2017 11:05 - VNPainGout - Definition, Diagnosis and Treatment

DEFINITION Gout is a term used to refer to a group of disease states caused by tissue deposition of monosodium urate due to prolonged hyperuricemia. Clinical manifestations of gout include acu [ ... ]

A National Campaign Calls for Investment in Pain Research and Access to Pain Therapies- Pain News
08 Sep 2016 02:35 -

By Ed Coghlan The nation’s largest pain patient advocacy group has launched a campaign called “People With Pain Matter”. The U.S. Pain Foundation wants to  raise public awareness of the impact  [ ... ]

Children and Pain: Acupuncture Provides Pain Relief for Kids with Chronic Conditions- Pain News
08 Sep 2016 02:35 -

By Staff Acupuncture appears to be an effective pain management tool for children who have chronic medical conditions, according to a study published by Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare. Th [ ... ]

FDA Approves Biologic Drug to Treat Several Forms of Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Plaque Ps...
08 Sep 2016 02:35 -

By Staff People who suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Plaque Psoriasis just got some good news:  A new drug called Erelzi just received FDA approval to [ ... ]

How Our Stuff Might Be Making Us Sicker- Pain News
08 Sep 2016 02:35 -

Donna Gregory Burch Lately I’ve been wondering if our material possessions could play a role in our fibromyalgia symptoms. My ruminating started a few months ago when the KonMari craze was at its pe [ ... ]

My Passion for Distraction- Pain News
08 Sep 2016 02:35 -

By Cynthia Toussaint I’ve been using distraction as my #1 painkiller for 34 years without knowing it. Now that I’ve come to  understand the power of intuitive healing, I want to shout it to the w [ ... ]

A Mother/Daughter/Advocate On Why She Fights for Chronic Pain Patients- Pain News
31 Aug 2016 07:24 -

By Ed Coghlan Terri Lewis, PhD is another chronic pain advocate that is working to make a difference for people like her son, who suffers from chronic pain. The National Pain Report asked her for a fe [ ... ]

DEA Moves on Kratom Classification- Pain News
31 Aug 2016 07:24 -

by Ed Coghlan The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is continuing to try and squeeze what it believes are addictive drugs and properties.  Today it announced its intention to place the active mat [ ... ]

New Direction for Painkiller Research: Target Opioid Receptors Outside of the Brain to Reduce Side E...
31 Aug 2016 07:24 -

By Staff There may be a new direction in the development of opioid medication after researchers discover a different target for opioid receptors in the brain.  Most opioid pain medications target wha [ ... ]

Opiate Tolerance – FACT OR FICTION- Pain News
31 Aug 2016 07:24 -

By Steve Ariens, Ph.D. We often hear about chronic pain patients need to increase their dosage because of tolerance to their medication(s). Many of the people that put out all these “facts” tend t [ ... ]

Relief for Stroke Survivors with Shoulder Pain- Pain News
31 Aug 2016 07:24 -

By Ed Coghlan Up to 85% of stroke survivors suffer from chronic shoulder pain and that pain often stops them from continuing their efforts to rehabilitate after their stroke. When a stroke survivor ca [ ... ]

A Loved One’s Advocacy to Fight Chronic Pain- Pain News
23 Aug 2016 01:58 -

By Ed Coghlan Since we founded the National Pain Report, we’ve met a number of people whose loved ones suffer from chronic pain and advocate for them and the millions of others. One of them is retir [ ... ]

Midwest Pain Treatment Education Expo-Big Dreams Come to Life- Pain News
23 Aug 2016 01:58 -

By Gracie Bagosy-Young Editor’s Note- Saturday August 13, the Midwest Pain Treatment Education Expo was held near Chicago. It started three years ago as an idea by chronic pain activist Gracie Bagos [ ... ]

Researchers Create “Unprecedented, Weird and Cool” Opioid Painkiller from Scratch- Pain News
23 Aug 2016 01:58 -

By Staff Researchers from U.C. San Francisco, Stanford University, the University of North Carolina and the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg have cooked up a new opioid drug candidate [ ... ]

3rd Annual US Pain Summit- Pain News
19 Aug 2016 07:23 -

By Katie M. Golden Making your way in the world today Takes everything you’ve got; Taking a break from all your worries Sure would help a lot. Wouldn’t you like to get away? Sometimes you want to  [ ... ]

Research Finds Link Between Dry Eyes and Chronic Pain- Pain News
19 Aug 2016 07:23 -

By Tara Heath Dry eye is a medical condition suffered by those whose eyes either don’t produce sufficient tears or they are of poor quality. Without sufficient lubrication for these eyes, they are a [ ... ]

Scientists Target Brain Cells to Alleviate Neuropathic Pain- Pain News
19 Aug 2016 07:23 -

By Staff More than one million Americans have neuropathic pain. Wouldn’t it be a good thing if that pain could be reduced or even eliminated? Scientists at Rutgers University think that targeting br [ ... ]

Why Are You Stiff in the Morning? New Discovery May Help Improve Treatment of Painful Inflammatory D...
19 Aug 2016 07:23 -

By Staff A protein created by the body’s “biological clock” (circadian) that actively represses inflammatory pathways during the night is responsible for that stiffness many feel in the morning, [ ... ]

DEA Doesn’t Budget on Marijuana Classification but Relents (A little) on Research- Pain News
14 Aug 2016 07:46 -

By Ed Coghlan If the medical benefits of marijuana are going to be approved by the federal government, it won’t happen while Barack Obama is President. The Drug Enforcement Administration declared m [ ... ]

Last Day to Sign the National Pain Strategy Petition- Pain News
14 Aug 2016 07:46 -

By Ed Coghlan Friday August 12 is the deadline to sign a petition that urges the White House to direct the Department of Health and Human Services to fund the National Pain Strategy. (To Sign The Peti [ ... ]

Other Articles